"Half-golem" is an acquired template that can be added to any animal, beast, giant, humanoid creature, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid (referred to hereafter as the base creature). There is no minimum level or Hit Dice requirement to become a half-golem.
|First new limb||DC 15|
|Second new limb||DC 19|
|Third new limb||DC 25|
|Fourth new limb||DC 33|
|Fifth new limb||DC 43|
|Sixth new limb||DC 55|
For each new limb attached, the character must make a Will save, with DC varying according to the number of new limbs received. A character who succeeds at all the saves he or she is required to make takes on the attributes of a half-golem as described below—except that the character retains his or her alignment, gains a +4 bonus to Constitution, and does not change type or gain construct traits. As soon as the character fails one of these required saves, he or she becomes a half-golem of neutral evil alignment. The character then has no Constitution score and the character's type changes to construct, granting him or her construct traits. A neutral evil half-golem retains the memories and knowledge of its former life, but its personality becomes murderous and cruel. It demonstrates the hatred of flesh creatures common to elementals, and it seeks methods appropriate to its class to slaughter as many flesh creatures as possible.
Each half-golem takes on the characteristics of a particular type of golem as described later in this article. A half-golem's abilities are primarily those of the character, with the following exceptions.
- CR: Varies by type (see the table below).
- Alignment: Same as base creature (if all Will saves succeed) or always neutral evil (if any Will save fails).
- Type: Same as base creature (if all Will saves succeed) or construct (if any Will save fails).
- Senses: As construct traits (if any Will save fails).
- Armor Class: A half-golem replaces any natural armor bonus it may have had with a new natural armor bonus that varies according to its type (see the table below). The change to Dexterity (see Abilities) also affects the half-golem's Armor Class.
- Hit Dice: Same as base creature. If the base creature has failed any Will save, they lose bonus hit points from Constitution, but gain bonus hit points as a construct of appropriate size.
- Defensive Abilities: A half-golem is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature by type, as noted in individual golem descriptions.
- Weaknesses: Varies by type (see the table below).
- Speed: Same as base creature, but a half-golem cannot run.
- Melee: Same as base creature.
- Special Attacks: Varies by type (see the table below).
- Special Qualities: Varies by type (see the table below).
- Abilities: Half-golems have -2 Dex, +4 Con (or no Con upon a failed Will save), -6 Int, +0 Wis, and -6 Cha. Strength varies by type (see the table below). The number of limbs attached does not alter a half-golem's Strength score.
|Damage reduction||—||—||5/adamantine or bludgeoning||5/adamantine||10/adamantine|
|Weaknesses||Vulnerability to fire||—||—||—||Rust vulnerability|
|Special attacks||—||—||Wound||Slow||Breath Weapon|
|Special Qualities||Cold, Icy Destruction||Berserk||Berserk, haste||—||Powerful Blows|
- Monster Manual II, pp.209-212